My husband loves Mexican food. It is one of his favorites and luckily for me it is super easy to create delicious Mexican-flavored dishes like this one. The other fun part of this recipe is you can customize your toppings and make it any way you like it! So give this one a try and have a fiesta!
Tortillas topped with Mexican Bean Sauce
- 2 cups pinto beans (or white/black beans) soaked overnight
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 to 3 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- tortilla shells (I used corn shells but you can use whatever you have handy)
1. In a large pot combine beans, enough water to cover the beans, half the onion and garlic. Bring to a boil and then simmer covered for about 20 minutes or until the beans are soft.
2. Add in the rest of the garlic and onion, cilantro, cumin, chili powder, and salt. Stir and then simmer for about another 15 to 20 minutes. Then using an immersion blender or food processor and blend the beans into a puree. It should be a fairly thick mixture.
3. Soften your tortillas between two damp paper towels in the microwave and then fold or roll them and place them on the bottom of your bowl. Pour the bean sauce over the top. Now here is where you can get creative! Top with avocados, corn, salsa, whole beans, or hot sauce! Use whatever you have on hand and is tasty!