Summer time and BBQ seem to go hand in hand. Unfortunately we don’t have a grill at our new house yet, but I was craving that tangy taste of a good BBQ sauce. So I decided to experiment and try to come up with a good and healthy sauce that could go on anything from meat to vegetables to beans. Luckily I struck gold and this sauce is now a regular in most of our summer meals. It takes just minutes to prepare and most of the ingredients are pantry staples, so you can enjoy it all summer long!
Quick and Delicious BBQ Sauce
- 1 8 oz can of no salt added tomato sauce
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (or honey)
- 1 tbsp olive oil (I actually used a hickory smoked grapeseed oil that adds a really good BBQ flavor, but regular EVOO works too)
- 3 tbsp soy sauce or liquid aminos, or tamari
- 2 tsp smoked paprika (make sure it’s smoked! This really adds the classic smoky BBQ taste to the sauce)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- pinch of sea salt
In a small bowl or pot combine all ingredients and stir well. I like to make the sauce earlier in the day and let it sit in the fridge to let the flavors meld together. When you’re ready to use it just pull it out and slather it on whatever you desire. My husband and I really like it heated up and served over cooked chickpeas or cannellini beans, but get creative! This sauce would pretty much be good on anything your little heart desires! So get to cooking and enjoy the tastes of summer!