On Friday’s in our house, I usually try out a new recipe. I usually have a little more time to make dinner and it’s fun to try something new! I have made polenta before, but I forgot how easy and how delicious it really is! This is a pretty simple meal to throw together and it tastes fantastic!
Chili-Spiced Polenta with Avocado Sauce
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
For Avocado Sauce:
- 1-2 medium avocados
- juice and zest of one lime
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp water
1. First prepare your polenta. This can be done ahead of time so it will be ready come dinner time! Bring the 3 1/2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. While pouring the cornmeal into the water, keep whisking so that no lumps form. Turn heat down to a simmer. Keep stirring the polenta every so often scraping the bottom of the pan so none sticks. The polenta will be done when it is nice and thick and no longer sticks to the side of the pan. Add your spices and pour the polenta into an oiled bread pan (or whatever dish you have handy. Just make sure it has high enough sides so polenta won’t pill over) and place pan in fridge to set.
2. While your polenta is chilling in the fridge, dice your avocados and place into a food processor or blender, I used my ninja. Add the rest of your ingredients and blend until smooth and creamy.
3. After about 30 min, take polenta out of the fridge. Now you can do one of two things. You can slice up your polenta and eat it cold or you can heat it up. I like it heated up because it gets a nice little crisp to it. Turn oven to 4o0 and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. Place polenta slices onto baking sheet and lightly brush with olive oil. Place in oven and bake for 10 min, flip them over and bake for 10 more minutes.
Once the polenta is done you can top it with the avocado sauce. I also like to put homemade salsa on top. I’ve also topped with pinto beans and corn. You can do whatever you like, it will be delicious no matter what! Enjoy!