I have a really delicious treat for you guys today, a dessert recipe! I realized that I had not posted any kind of dessert recipe and knew that needed to change. It is entirely possible to eat well and healthy and also enjoy a few treats! This crisp is probably not what you would immediately think of when you think a typical crisp. I’ve adapted it to fit into a healthy lifestyle, but also taste just as delicious! It also doesn’t take that long to put together and you can use whatever fruit you have lying around depending on the season. I’ve done strawberry and rhubarb, strawberry and pear, and more recently peach and raspberry. An all berry crisp would be delicious and in the fall an apple one would taste phenomenal!
Any Fruit Crisp
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats, soaked in just enough water to cover for about 15 minutes
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp safflower oil (olive oil would work, but I like the lighter flavor of safflower)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3-4 cups fruit of your choice
1. Preheat your oven to 400. Slice your fruit up into bite size chunks and place into a pie dish, or another shallow dish. Add your lemon juice and 1 tbsp maple syrup to the fruit. Mix well
2. In a medium bowl add your soaked steel cut oats, almond flour, and cinnamon. Stir together, it will look a little crumbly at this point, that’s totally fine. Add in 1 tbsp safflower oil and 2 tbsp maple syrup. Mix again. It should start to stick together now but not be too wet looking.
3. Spoon the oat/almond flour mixture over the fruit making sure to cover as much of the fruit as possible. It won’t look perfect and that is fine, it isn’t suppose to!
4. Place in oven and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes. You want the fruit to be bubbling and the top part should just be starting to brown. Cool completely and then serve up the yum!
Because this is such a quick dessert, you can make it often and experiment with what fruit combo you like the best. It’s also yummy enough to share at a BBQ or party… if you feel like sharing! Enjoy!