This is another simple meal that can be thrown together quickly and cooked in your slow cooker. I told you that I had a lot of slow cooker recipes for you! This can be used as a side dish or it’s hearty enough to be the main course. Either way, make a lot so that you can enjoy the leftovers!
Wheatberry Vegetable Medley
- 1 cup wheatberries (you can also use bulgar or brown rice, but I like that texture of wheatberries)
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 can diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Cut and prepare all your vegetables. In a pan over medium heat, saute your onion until soft. Add in peas and corn and saute until a little browned. Add in the carrots, green pepper, and garlic. Cook for another few minutes.
2. Place all your cooked vegetables in your slow cooker and add in the tomatoes, wheatberries, broth and seasonings. Mix together and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
3. Before serving taste to see if it needs more salt or pepper. I added a little salt right at the end.
This is a great dish to warm you up on a cold night, but it can also be served cold. Enjoy!