This is another meal that I put together based on ingredients that I usually always have on hand. The tomato sauce is really what makes this dish come together and it is fairly simple to make. Once all your beans are cooked and your sauce is made, this dish is as simple as throwing it in a baking dish and putting it in the oven. If you are short on time, this is an easy meal to prep ahead of time and then just put into the oven once dinner rolls around. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy!
Three-Bean Kale Bake
- 3/4 cup red kidney beans, soaked overnight*
- 3/4 cup cannelini beans, soaked overnight*
- 1/2 cup pinto beans, soaked overnight*
- 1 bunch of kale, rinsed and chopped (I used a bag of frozen kale, just make sure to thaw before you use it)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 14oz cans of diced, fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup cashews, soaked overnight
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp basil
- 1/4-1/2 tsp crushed red pepper, depending on how spicy you want the sauce
- salt and pepper
* You can opt to use canned beans, just make sure to rinse them thoroughly before using. I like dried beans because they don’t get as mushy once you bake them.*
1. The night before, soak all your beans and cashews in cold water. Rinse all your beans then place them in a pot and cover with cold water. Bring them to a boil and skim the foam off the top with a large spoon. Reduce the heat to low and cover with a lid. Simmer the beans for about 20-40 minutes depending on the texture you like. I tend to like my beans a little firmer so I cook them more towards the 20 minute side
NOTE: Cook your beans in separate pots. Each bean will take a different amount of time to cook. Also, the red kidney beans can turn your white beans pink if they are cooked together.
2. While your beans are cooking, prepare your sauce. Drain and rinse your cashews. Place them in a blender or food processor and add 1/2 cup vegetable broth. Blend until very smooth. Set aside
3. In a large pan, heat some olive oil over medium high heat. Saute the onion for 5-7 minutes until soft. Add in the garlic and saute for another 1 to 2 minutes. Add in the oregano and basil and stir everything together.
4. Add in the diced tomatoes and the crushed red pepper. Heat this mixture for about 5 minutes and then grab the cashew cream. Add in about half of the cream and stir to incoporate. If you want it creamier add in more or less if you want it more tomato-y. Add in salt and pepper to taste.
5. Now the easy part. Preheat oven to 375. In a large pot or bowl, place all the beans and kale and stir to combine. Add in the tomato sauce, reserving about 1/2 a cup. Stir everything together well. Place your beans into a 9×13 casserole dish and top with the remaining sauce. Cover with tinfoil and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven, take off the tinfoil, and let cool for about 5 minutes.
This meal is great to serve with a nice hearty bread and makes a ton of leftovers. If you don’t have/like kale, you can easily use spinach or collard greens, or any dark leafy green that you enjoy!