This is my go to sauce. I make it large batches so that I have some on hand when I need a tasty and healthy tomato sauce!
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp basil
- 1-2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 14 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes (I use no salt added)
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- vegetable broth or water
- salt and pepper to taste
1. In a medium sauce pan over medium high heat saute onions until soft and translucent. Add in half your minced garlic and saute another minute.
2. Add in oregano, basil, and fennel and stir to combine. Then add in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and stir to combine. Using a potato masher, mash the sauce a little to crush the diced tomato chunks. Depending on how thick or thin you want your sauce add in a little or a lot of broth or water. Taste and adjust the salt and pepper to your taste
3. Bring the sauce to a boil and lower to a simmer. Simmer the sauce for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
You can either use this right away or cool completely and store in clean jars in your fridge. Enjoy!