Sunday is usually my big chore day. It’s the day that I do all the laundry, clean the bathroom, super clean the kitchen, clean all the floors, and any other cleaning that is needed. I also get my blog ready for the next day and finish up any other odds and ends that need to be taken care of. Sometimes when dinner rolls around, I really don’t want to put a lot of effort into my meal.
This is where a well stocked freezer and pantry come in hand. You can come up with a delicious and healthy meal in a matter of minutes with just a few staples. I made this meal last Sunday and asked you guys if you would be interested in how to make it. I got a fairly good response so here it is! Keep in mind that you can totally customize this dinner with the ingredients you have on hand.
Hobo Skillet Casserole
- 1 cup pasta (I used gluten free penne but you can use whatever you normally do)
- 1 potato, cut into cubes
- 1 cup butternut squash, cubed (can also use any other squash or sweet potatoes)
- 1 cup frozen spinach, thawed (can use any green you have like chard, collard, or kale)
- 1/2 cup assorted vegetables (I used a frozen mix of broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 8 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup almond milk or any other non-dairy milk
- 1-2 tsp Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- gluten free breadcrumbs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350. Cook pasta according to package, drain, and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, mix tomato sauce, almond milk, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper in a small bowl and set aside for later.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. If you do not have a cast iron skillet you can use a regular skillet and transfer the casserole into a casserole dish.
- Add a little olive oil to the pan and then saute the onions and potatoes until the potatoes are lightly browned. Transfer the potatoes and onions to a bowl with the pasta.
- Add the vegetables and butternut squash to the skillet and cook until slightly brown. Add in the garlic and cook for another minute. Place the vegetables into the bowl with the potatoes and pasta.
- Pour the tomato sauce mix into the other bowl and stir everything to combine. Add everything back into your skillet or casserole dish. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with the bread crumbs if you’re using and bake for another 5 minutes.
This is a great meal to make at the end of the week to use up any food that you have leftover in the fridge. You can use whatever you have on hand. If you don’t want to use pasta you can try brown rice, quinoa, or any beans you have. If want add ground beef or turkey, shredded chicken or pulled pork. Choose your favorite vegetables or whatever is in season. Use different seasonings to change up the flavor or try a different sauce like salsa or hummus or cashew cream.
Meals like this are awesome because they are easy to make and can taste different every time you make it depending on what you use. Get creative and get eating!
Oh and don’t forget I am still hosting a giveaway on my Facebook page. If I get to 100 likes I’ll give away two $10 gift cards of their choice to two of my followers. Make sure you go check out my page and like it!
Have a great Friday and a wonderful weekend!