Ok, so Monday and Tuesday this week I was wracking my brain trying to think of a DIY post for you guys. I could not come up with one single thing. I was starting to worry that I was out of ideas and trying to scramble for something to post today. I even went as far as to ask Adam for some help.
Luckily, he pulled through like a champ. Actually his friend, Eric, came through like a champ but Adam was the middle man so we’ll give him a little credit. I asked Adam and he asked Eric if there was something that he usually bought at the store that he wanted to make at home to save money or make healthier. He came back with salsa.
I haven’t bought salsa in a very long time because it is so easy to whip up your own. Plus my mother in law makes a mean salsa and always makes sure we have a jar or two. This is the very simple salsa I make whenever we have a Mexican feast, which is like every other weekend. What can I say? I like tacos!
This salsa isn’t fancy or have any exotic ingredients, it is something you can make quickly when you are in a pinch for salsa. It tastes awesome and because it is so simple you can always have some on hand. If you want to make it fancy you can add extra things like corn or black beans. You can control how spicy or mild it is as well as the consistency. Pretty much this salsa can be everything you want and nothing you don’t. Let’s make some salsa!
- one 28 oz can of whole peeled tomatoes or 3-4 fresh tomatoes
- 2/3 cup diced onions
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, roughly chopped and seeds removed (you can leave the seeds in for a spicier salsa. You can also omit completely)
- juice and zest of one lime
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 to 2 tsp salt
- small handful of cilantro (more if you really like cilantro like me)
- Roughly chop tomatoes and onion and add everything but the cilantro into a blender.
- Blend until you reach your desired consistency. I like it fairly chopped but blend less for a more chunky salsa.
- Taste and adjust any seasonings. Add in the cilantro and pulse a few times to mix it in.
- Serve with homemade tortilla chips and enjoy!