Don’t turn away in disgust. You can, and totally should, bake with avocado. They are good for you and replace a lot of the less than healthy fats you normally find in baked goods.
A few weeks back Liz from I Heart Vegetables posted this recipe for chocolate muffins made with avocado and that got my wheel turning. I started thinking of other things I could make with avocado and then I saw a recipe for banana bread and the baking heavens opened.
Banana bread is awesome, but regular banana bread is usually a little too sweet for me so I toned it down in this recipe. Feel free to add maple syrup if you want, but try it without first. The avocado keeps this bread moist and full of healthy fats and DOESN’T taste like banana guacamole. That wouldn’t be so good. Interesting…. but not tasty.
So if you have some super ripe bananas, an avocado, and a hankering for something delicious try this quick gluten-free bread!
Avocado Banana Bread
- 1 medium avocado, about 1 cup diced up
- 2 medium ripe bananas
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large egg or 1 flax egg (3 tbsp ground flaxseed and 6 tbsp water combined)
- 1 and 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3-5 tbsp maple syrup, optional
- 1/4 cup pecans, optional
- 1/2 cup dried bananas, optional (but really delicious even if it sounds odd)
- Preheat oven to 350 and oil a bread pan with a little coconut oil and line with parchment paper.
- Put the avocado, bananas, and coconut oil into a blender and blend until it’s smooth. Add the egg or flax egg, maple syrup if you’re using, and blend again.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl and then pour in the wet. Use a spatula and stir to combine. If you’re adding nuts or dried bananas stir those in now.
- Pour the batter into the bread pan and bake for 45 minutes. Pull out the bread and check to see if the middle is still wobbly. If it is, cook for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- When the bread is done, pull it out and let it cool in the pan for 5 minutes then take it out and let it cool on a rack completely.